Effective Date: March 16, 2020
Last Reviewed: February 21, 2022
Thanks for visiting Silhouette School Inc. (“we”, “us” or “our”). We respect your privacy. When it comes to personal information, we believe in transparency. That’s why we’ve set out her what personal information we collect, what we do with it and your choices and rights.
This Privacy Notice notifies you of the following:
- Consent and changes to the Privacy Notice;
- Information that we collect;
- Use of personal information;
- Sharing personal information;
- Your rights and choices;
- Retention of your personal information;
- How we safeguard your information;
- How we handle do not track requests;
- How to contact us; and
- Provisions applying to users located in Canada.
This Privacy Notice applies only to our Site and not to any other website that you may reach via a link from this Site. If at any time you have a question about anything contained in this Privacy Notice or a general query on privacy, please contact us.
From time to time, we may wish to use personal information for new or additional purposes or otherwise change the Privacy Notice, in which case we will amend the Privacy Notice. The most current version of the Privacy Notice, which will always be located on the Site, will govern our relationship with you. The changes will not be retroactive without your express consent. Your continued use of the Site constitutes your acceptance of any such revisions. You should periodically visit this page to review the current Privacy Notice.
If you do not register your details or create a member account, you will not be able to access or use the content. If you wish to purchase a subscription after you have finished reading this Privacy Notice, please register your details here.
Information That We Collect—We collect various types of personal information from you or your devices. In the last 12 months, we have collected the following categories of personal information:
Category A: Identifiers, such as your name, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name.
Category B: Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)), such as your name, signature, address, telephone number, bank account number, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
Category D: Commercial information, such as records of personal property, products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
Category F: Internet or other similar network activity, such as browsing history, search history, information on a consumer's interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
Category G: Geolocation data, such as your physical location or movements.
We obtain the categories of personal information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- You provide some information directly, such as by registering for an account or purchasing a product or service.
- We record some of it automatically when you access and use the Site, including with technologies like cookies.
- We receive some from third parties, like when you make payments to use using our payment processor.
We do not knowingly collect the personal information of any person who tells us he or she is younger than 16. If we determine that an individual younger than 16 has submitted personal information to this Site, we will delete that information.
On revisiting our Site or in using the files, our computer server will recognize the cookie and give us information about your use of the Site, including keeping track of items you put into your shopping cart or when you have abandoned your cart. Most browsers accept cookies automatically, but usually you can alter the settings of your browser to prevent automatic acceptance. If you choose not to receive cookies, you may still use the Site but you may find that the Site does not function properly or is slower than when you allow a cookie to be installed on your machine.
- These functional and required cookies are always used, which allow Shopify, our hosting platform, to securely serve this website to you.
- These analytics and performance cookies are used on this site, as described below, to view site traffic, activity, and other data.
Use of Personal Information: We use the personal information we obtain about you for the following purposes:
- To provide services to you. For example, if you share your name and contact information to request a price quote or ask a question about our products or services, we will use that personal information to respond to your inquiry. If you provide your personal information to purchase a product or service, we will use that information to process your payment and facilitate delivery or email you with messages about your order or account activity. We may also save your information to facilitate new product orders or process returns.
- To communicate with you. To provide you with support and to respond to your inquiries, including to investigate and address your concerns and monitor and improve our responses.
- To customize the services. To create, maintain, customize, and secure your account with us, and also for testing, research, analysis, and product development, including to develop and improve our Site, products, and services.
- To advertise. To deliver content and product and service offerings relevant to your interests, including targeted offers and ads through our Site, third-party sites, and via email or text message (with your consent, where required by law).
- For security. To help maintain the safety, security, and integrity of our Site, products and services, databases and other technology assets, and business.
- For legal compliance. To respond to law enforcement requests and as required by applicable law, court order, or governmental regulations.
- For legitimate business purposes. To evaluate or conduct a merger, divestiture, restructuring, reorganization, dissolution, or other sale or transfer of some or all of our assets, whether as a going concern or as part of bankruptcy, liquidation, or similar proceeding, in which personal information held by us about our Site users is among the assets transferred.
We will not collect additional categories of personal information or use the personal information we collected for materially different, unrelated, or incompatible purposes without providing you notice.
Sharing Personal Information—We may disclose your personal information to a third party for a business purpose, except that we do not share text messaging opt-in data and consent with any third party. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the third party to keep that personal information confidential and not to use it for any purpose except performing the contract.
In general, the third-party providers used by us will only collect, use and disclose your information to the extent necessary to allow them to perform the services they provide to us. We currently use the following third parties:
- Chargebee-We use CHARGEBEE INC. (“Chargebee”) to provide payment processing and order fulfillment services. Please refer to the Chargebee Privacy Notice for more information.
- Facebook-We share your email addresses with Facebook for use in Facebook’s Lookalike Audience service to assist us in developing targeted marketing options. Facebook encrypts the information to protect your privacy, uses the information only to match an audience, and does not distribute the information. To the extent you reside in the European Union or Switzerland, we have instructed Facebook Ireland Limited to process such personal data on our behalf as our data processor pursuant to Facebook’s Data Processing Terms. Facebook, Inc. is acting as a sub-processor for and on behalf of Facebook Ireland Limited for the purpose of fulfilling Facebook Ireland Limited’s obligations. You can find Facebook’s Custom Audience terms here. Please contact us if you prefer that we DO NOT share your email address with Facebook.
- Klaviyo-We use Klaviyo for marketing technology services, including customer email campaigns. We also use Klaviyo for our SMS/text messaging service (with your consent at time of sign-up), for purposes such as updates on content available on the website, sales on membership plans, subscription related notifications, abandoned shopping card messages and sales related messages. Klaviyo collects information about your activity on and interaction with this site, such as details about the devices that you use to access this site (including IP address, the type of operating system and web browser), location tracking, dates and times of visits to and use of this site, details of your interaction with our emails and text messages to you, and search terms used to reach our site. This information enables us to customize our marketing strategy, personalize our marketing content, and analyze and enhance our marketing communications to you. Please refer to the Klaviyo Privacy Notice for more information.
You can prevent service providers from recognizing you on return visits to this site by disabling cookies on your browser.
We may also use and disclose your personal information to third parties under the following limited circumstances:
- To service providers that help with our operations and Site, including for customer services, monitoring and analyzing Site activity, and operating and maintaining the Site. These service providers may only use your personal information for the purposes described in this Privacy Notice.
- When necessary to protect our safety, property or other rights, our representatives, customers and users of the Site, including to detect and prevent fraud.
- With your consent.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we disclosed the following categories of personal information to our service providers for a business purpose:
- Category A: Identifiers.
- Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
- Category D: Commercial information.
- Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have not sold personal information.
Your Rights and Choices-The California Consumer Protection Act of 2018 (“CCPA”) provides California residents with specific rights regarding their personal information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights-You have the right to request that we disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your personal information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of personal information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the personal information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting or selling that personal information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that personal information.
- The specific pieces of personal information we collected about you.
- If we sold or disclosed your personal information for a business purpose, two separate lists disclosing:
- sales, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient purchased; and
- disclosures for a business purpose, identifying the personal information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights-You have the right to request that we delete any of your personal information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete) your personal information from our records, unless an exception applies.
We may deny your deletion request if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the personal information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Debug products to identify and repair errors that impair existing intended functionality.
- Exercise free speech, ensure the right of another consumer to exercise their free speech rights, or exercise another right provided by law.
- Comply with the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act (Cal. Penal Code § 1546 et. seq.).
- Engage in public or peer-reviewed scientific, historical, or statistical research in the public interest that adheres to all other applicable ethics and privacy laws, when the information's deletion may likely render impossible or seriously impair the research's achievement, if you previously provided informed consent.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights-To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a request to us by either:
Only you or a person that you authorize to act on your behalf may make a request related to your personal information. You may also make a request on behalf of your minor child. An authorized agent can make a request on your behalf by submitting an affidavit, signed and notarized by you, which includes your name, user ID, physical address, email address and phone number, expresses your intent to appoint an agent to exercise your rights on your behalf, and identifies your authorized agent by name, physical address, email address and phone number.
You may only make a request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected personal information or an authorized representative. Please provide your name, email address, and a screenshot of the My Account page at www.silhouetteu.com.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with personal information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the personal information relates to you. Requests for exercising access, data portability, or deletion rights on behalf of your household require the verified consent of all members of your household.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. However, we do consider requests made through your password protected account sufficiently verified when the request relates to personal information associated with that specific account.
We will only use personal information provided in a request to verify the requestor's identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format-We will try to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we need more time (up to 90 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
If you have an account with us, we will deliver our written response to that account. If you do not have an account with us, we will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding receipt of your request. If we cannot comply with a request, the response we provide will explain the reasons. For data portability requests, we will select a format to provide your personal information that is readily useable and should allow you to transmit the information from one entity to another entity without hindrance.
We do not charge a fee to process or respond to your verifiable consumer request unless it is excessive, repetitive, or manifestly unfounded. If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Non-Discrimination-We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your CCPA rights. Unless permitted by the CCPA, we will not:
- Deny you goods or services.
- Charge you different prices or rates for goods or services, including through granting discounts or other benefits, or imposing penalties.
- Provide you a different level or quality of goods or services.
- Suggest that you may receive a different price or rate for goods or services or a different level or quality of goods or services.
However, we may offer you certain financial incentives permitted by the CCPA that can result in different prices, rates, or quality levels. Any CCPA-permitted financial incentive we offer will reasonably relate to your personal information's value and contain written terms that describe the program's material aspects. Participation in a financial incentive program requires your prior opt in consent, which you may revoke at any time.
How We Safeguard Your Information—Keeping your information secure is important to us, and we make sure that all the information that we collect is as safe as possible. We or our service providers use commercially reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect personal information under our control, including securing the infrastructure that supports information collection, exchange and storage/retrieval.
Perimeter Security—We use firewalls to secure the perimeter of our information network and monitor our systems on a regular basis.
Data Security—An authentication and authorization mechanism based on usernames and passwords is used to restrict access to information on this Site. Each authenticated user only has access to the information that he or she is authorized to use.
Transaction Security—All personal information exchanged between our servers and your web browser is encrypted using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).
Do Not Track Requests—Please note that we do not honor Do Not Track requests or signals from your web browser regarding any collection of Information, including any personal information, about you and your online activities over time. Any of the entities that are involved in helping us run our Site that may also collect personal information about you and your online activities may also disregard your Do Not Track requests.
How to Contact Us. We welcome your feedback. If you have any questions or comments about this notice, the ways in which we collect and use your information, your choices and rights regarding such use, or wish to exercise your rights under California law, please contact us at
- Email: email@example.com
Postal address: Silhouette School Inc., 305 Walker Way, Newark, DE 19711 (Attn: Gary Anderson, Registered Agent)
THE FOLLOWING PROVISION APPLIES TO USERS LOCATED IN CANADA:
Cross-Border Data Transfers As Silhouette School, Inc. is based in the United States, we transfer and store your information in the United States. As such, we wish to make you aware that your personal information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States. In addition, we may also engage third parties to perform certain services on our behalf. These third parties may store, process and transfer personal information on servers located outside of Canada in jurisdictions whose data protection laws may differ from those of Canada. As a result, personal information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in those jurisdictions according to the laws in those jurisdictions. For example, information may be shared in response to valid demands or requests from government authorities, courts and law enforcement officials in those countries. Subject to applicable laws in such other jurisdictions, we will use reasonable efforts to ensure that appropriate protections are in place to require our third parties to maintain protections on personal information that are equivalent to those that apply in Canada.